How Cans Are Made
The beverage can is a highly engineered product that has been optimized for speed of manufacture as well as performance throughout the supply chain.
Here is an inside look at how this modern marvel is made:
- Cup Blanking and Drawing - Press punches out hundreds of cups per minute from huge coils of aluminum or steel
- Ironing and Doming - Cup is forced through a series of rings to iron out cans to full length and form bottom dome.
- Trimming - Cans are spun as cutting tool trims to length.
- Cleaning - Washer cycles hundreds of cans per minute through multiple cleaning stations.
- Printing and Varnishing - At printing station, cans are rolled against cylinder to print up to four colors simultaneously.
- Bottom Varnishing - Cans are conveyed past applicator that varnishes bottom.
- Baking - Cans wind through conveying system in oven to dry and set lithography.
- Inside Spraying - A protective specially compounded coating is applied to inside of cans.
- Baking - Trip through funnel oven bakes and cures inside coating.
- Necking In - Can necks are reduced at top to fit the designated end size.
- Flanging and Testing - Can rims are flanged for future double seaming of ends. Then, each can is mechanically tested for leakage. Finally, cans are automatically stacked in cartons or on pallets for shipment.
IWD Video Series, Episode 5: How does Crown #EmbraceEquity within the organization and ensure equal opportunities for professional development?
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
IWD Video Series, Episode 4: What makes women a valuable part of a workforce?
Tuesday, March 14, 2023
IWD Video Series, Episode 3: How Crown promotes a supportive and inclusive work environment
Monday, March 13, 2023
IWD Video Series, Episode 2: Why is it important to support gender diversity and inclusion?
Thursday, March 09, 2023
IWD Video Series, Episode 1: What Does International Women's Day Mean to You?
Wednesday, March 08, 2023
International Women's Day 2023
Monday, March 06, 2023
Crown Holdings, Inc. Declares Quarterly Dividend
Thursday, February 23, 2023
Crown Holdings, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter 2022 Results
Tuesday, February 07, 2023
Supporting the Transition of MENA’s Food & Beverage Sector to a Circular Economy Series (part II of II)
Monday, February 06, 2023
Supporting the Transition of MENA’s Food & Beverage Sector to a Circular Economy Series (Part I of II)
Monday, January 30, 2023
Crown Wins Multiple Awards for Innovative Designs Across Global Competitions
Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Our Commitment to Help Slow the Pace of Climate Change
Thursday, January 12, 2023
Crown Holdings Schedules Fourth Quarter 2022 Earnings Conference Call
Tuesday, January 10, 2023
Aquarius Competition Leverages Accents™ Variable Printing Technology
Thursday, December 22, 2022
Mental Health and Well-being are Core Values at Crown
Wednesday, December 21, 2022
Supporting Brazil’s Water Market Through Sustainable Packaging
Monday, December 19, 2022
Turkish Water Brand is “Kristal Clear” on Sustainability Messaging
Thursday, December 15, 2022
Crown Holdings Appoints Two New Independent Directors to Board
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Kristal Kola To Launch Türkiye’s First Spring Water in Cans
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Crown Ranked Among Top Organizations in Newsweek’s 2023 List of America’s Most Responsible Companies
Wednesday, December 07, 2022