How Cans Are Made
The beverage can is a highly engineered product that has been optimized for speed of manufacture as well as performance throughout the supply chain.
Here is an inside look at how this modern marvel is made:
- Cup Blanking and Drawing - Press punches out hundreds of cups per minute from huge coils of aluminum or steel
- Ironing and Doming - Cup is forced through a series of rings to iron out cans to full length and form bottom dome.
- Trimming - Cans are spun as cutting tool trims to length.
- Cleaning - Washer cycles hundreds of cans per minute through multiple cleaning stations.
- Printing and Varnishing - At printing station, cans are rolled against cylinder to print up to four colors simultaneously.
- Bottom Varnishing - Cans are conveyed past applicator that varnishes bottom.
- Baking - Cans wind through conveying system in oven to dry and set lithography.
- Inside Spraying - A protective specially compounded coating is applied to inside of cans.
- Baking - Trip through funnel oven bakes and cures inside coating.
- Necking In - Can necks are reduced at top to fit the designated end size.
- Flanging and Testing - Can rims are flanged for future double seaming of ends. Then, each can is mechanically tested for leakage. Finally, cans are automatically stacked in cartons or on pallets for shipment.
America Recycles Day: A Moment for Reflection and Responsibility
Monday, November 15, 2021
Can Manufacturers Institute Members Commit to Aluminum Beverage Can 70 Percent Recycling Rate by 2030
Wednesday, November 10, 2021
Milwaukee Area Recycling Facility Latest Recipient of Aluminum Beverage Can Capture Grant Program Funded by Ardagh Metal Packaging and Crown Holdings
Monday, November 08, 2021
Crown Achieves Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) Certification for Its Brazilian Operations
Friday, October 29, 2021
Crown Holdings, Inc. Declares Quarterly Dividend
Thursday, October 28, 2021
Crown Holdings, Inc. Reports Strong Third Quarter 2021 Results
Monday, October 25, 2021
Crown Advances Commitment to the Circular Economy by Joining the Ellen MacArthur Foundation's Network
Wednesday, October 13, 2021
Crown Teams with Velox to Launch Fastest Digital Beverage Can Decorator
Wednesday, October 06, 2021
Crown Holdings Announces Intention To Settle Its U.K. Pension Plan Obligations
Friday, October 01, 2021
Crown Holdings Schedules Third Quarter 2021 Earnings Conference Call
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Crown Holdings Expands North American Footprint With New Beverage Can Plant in Mesquite, Nevada
Friday, September 24, 2021
Crown Elevates Emissions Reduction Initiatives by Signing the Climate Pledge
Monday, September 20, 2021
Enhancing Sustainability Performance Through Lightweighting
Thursday, September 09, 2021
Beverage Cans Strive for 100% Recycling in Europe in Within a Decade
Wednesday, September 08, 2021
Our Success Depends on Gender Balance
Tuesday, September 07, 2021
U.K. Hits Record-Breaking Beverage Can Recycling Rates
Thursday, September 02, 2021
Record Steel Recycling Rates in Europe
Tuesday, August 31, 2021
Crown Holdings Completes Sale of Its European Tinplate Business
Tuesday, August 31, 2021