Water, as a resource, is under increasing strain.
In fact, data shows that there will be a 40% gap between the demand for water and the availability of water by the year 2030 (Source).
With the health of human beings and the viability of the manufacturing industry heavily relying on the availability of water, this gap presents a startling threat. The absence of water, or usable water, can place our communities and economies in danger.
We have always been committed to responsible water use and to meeting our Company’s water demand without impacting the availability or quality of the resource to others. Based on the scale and urgency of the problem and the fact that water is a key input for our beverage can manufacturing process (forming, washing, rinsing and cooling), as well as for the manufacture of aluminum and the production of our customers’ products, we recognize our role in helping further protect this invaluable resource.
As we look toward 2030, we are advancing our commitment in this area and have developed a comprehensive water stewardship strategy. With our Twentyby30 program, we aim to accomplish the following:
Reduce water usage in our operations by 20% by 2025.
Maintain a 100% track record of meeting local wastewater standards.
Ensure all employees have continued access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
Replenish 100% of the water consumed in our operations back to high scarcity risk watersheds.
Like other companies, we are susceptible to increasing global water supply risks due to localized and recurring drought, unplanned weather-related issues, competition for the resource in water constrained locations, climate change and regulatory restrictions. Our water stewardship strategy decreases the potential for business disruption while helping protect scarce resources at the watershed level by taking the following actions:
Reduce Water Usage
- Measure, monitor and report water consumption company-wide.
- Identify and eliminate losses and leaks.
- Install flowmeters to measure, report and reduce water consumption.
- Identify, benchmark and replicate water use efficiency best practices.
- Identify and incentivize water re-use opportunities.
- Pilot and replicate new and hybrid technologies toward Minimal to Zero Liquid Discharge.
Continue Meeting Local Wastewater Standards
- Monitor and record wastewater quantity, quality, compliance and location of discharge.
- Adopt company-wide standard operating procedures defining wastewater discharge quality and standard monitoring requirements.
Ensure Employee Access to Safe Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
- Ensure continued access to safe drinking water available to all employees.
- Ensure continued access to sufficient and clean personal hygiene facilities, supplies and education for all employees.
Replenish High Scarcity Risk Watersheds
- Validate number of plants in high water scarcity locations.
- Identify watershed level projects to implement in high water scarcity locations.
- Implement projects in collaboration with local partners.
- Measure and report project implementation progress.
Progress in Practice
Our employees and operations around the world are already making invaluable contributions to decrease our water footprint every day. Here are just a few examples of how they are making a difference:
Combating Water Scarcity in the Middle East
A comprehensive “Go Green” program implemented by our beverage can plant in Dubai achieved a significant 8% reduction in water usage, crucial in this water-scarce region.
Olympia, Washington Team Helps Protect the Local Ecosystem
Recognizing the detrimental effects that copper runoff can have on fish and wildlife, our Olympia, Washington (U.S.) beverage can plant fabricated and installed pre-filters into its stormwater catch basins. These filters help prevent oysters floating in and out of the basins from absorbing toxic runoff, protecting the local oyster population and, ultimately, the creatures that form the state’s local aquatic ecosystem.
UN Sustainability Development Goals
In 2015, the United Nations General Assembly announced 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to address global challenges and set a blueprint for action to achieve the goals by 2030.
Our sustainability priorities are aligned with the SDGs so that our actions can contribute to a greater collective impact. Learn more about our alignment with each goal.