This rising adoption can be attributed to several factors, including the format’s sustainability credentials and convenience, an increase in off-premise consumption as well as consumer demand for new beverage options (e.g., energy drinks, seltzers) where cans are the preferred package. We remain confident in the future of the format, with all signs pointing toward greater traction. This includes prominent beverage brands building new facilities to significantly grow can filling capacity, the rise in e-commerce and direct-to-consumer retail, increasing incomes and young populations supporting consumption trends and further expansion opportunities in beverage categories like energy drinks, wine and liquor/cocktails.
The inherent characteristics of beverage cans also meet consumer needs in ways that no other packaging format can. Metal packaging is lightweight and convenient to carry, serve from and enjoy. It is durable, protecting the product within and maintaining its freshness. In addition, and critical to modern consumers: Cans are extremely sustainable and represent packaging they can feel good about.
No matter which part of the world you are in, the trend is the same: consumers are increasingly reaching for beverage cans. Here is a window into what is happening in some of Crown’s key markets:
North America Highlights
- Energy drinks, spiked seltzers, canned cocktails and flavored waters are poised for above-market growth.
- Alcoholic beverages represented 80% of Mexico’s can market in 2021.
- The region continues to shift toward cans and away from returnable glass.
- The country’s beer market continues to see a meaningful shift toward beverage cans. It is anticipated that in 2022, 64% of beer will be in cans, versus 48% in 2015.
- This region remains a strong proponent and consumer of cans, with the market reaching a volume of nearly 90 billion cans and growing at a 4-6% CAGR.
- Increased awareness of metal and its sustainable attributes, along with off-premise consumption habits, are creating greater preference for the format.
- Consumers are also reaching for cans as they search for product variety and more premium, aesthetically pleasing packaging options.
- Increasing household incomes and young populations, greater interest in sustainable packaging and growing demand for smaller serving sizes are all helping to drive the can’s popularity in countries such as Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam.